Sunday, December 5, 2010

getting seriously involved with someone just means ruining your nightlife

Have I mentioned how much I love Chris Eigeman? Specifically, Chris Eigeman as he appears as variations on the same guy in the films of Whit Stillman and Noah Baumbach's post-college masterpiece Kicking & Screaming. Because at the risk of turning this blog into nothing but a giant 90s nostalgia fest, I really really do.



He functions as something of the archetypal antihero of these pieces: over-privileged and manipulative and cynical and arrogant and self absorbed but also endlessly quotable, and a master of the hangdog expression which means he somehow succeeds in making his characters charming and redeemable. He gets all the best lines. ("I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now" is basically my mantra) He wears dishevelled suits and always seems to have his hands in his pockets, and has theories on everything and probably too much money and somewhat suspect morals. He talks and talks and talks and doesn't seem to ever actually do anything, and, well, he's perfect at it.

So yeah, I miss those overly talkie nineties movies. And I'm incredibly happy to see that not only is Stillman coming out of hiding with a new movie (Last Days Of Disco was released in 1998!) but he might be taking Eigeman with him.


2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WATtDDETbWs

    remember when he was on Gilmore Girls???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved him in Gilmore Girls! (and uh the whole show in general, just quietly) He was basically the same character again, only slightly older and more likable.

    ReplyDelete